Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Getting ready at ndarakwai ranch

Greetings from the western slopes of kilimanjaro. In true glamping style, this will be the last mattress, shower and running water after tomorrow morning, when we finally depart on our trek.

We met our guide Godlove this morning for a briefing, giving us a flavor of things to come. This northern circuit route certainly seems circuitous, and at time will be going down to go up...but we're promised it will all help with acclimatization and ultimately summit success. Even the two nights here at 4000 feet is supposed to help ( and besides,it has allowed me to postpone my "last beer" yet once again!). So the day was not wasted, after a hearty breakfast we were treated to a game ride around the many thousand acred property, encountering our first baboons, grouse, gazelles, elephants, zebras and giraffes (no "oh mys" but some of the most vibrantly colored birds I've ever seen!). Pretty cool...now if I could only figure out how to get any of those pics posted here! (finally managed to do it!) As it is, this is my third time trying to get this post posted...I remain technically challenged and may even have to break down and get a smart phone when I get back!
Off now for a game walk...will be good to actually stretch my legs after doing not much physically for past few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment