Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday, June 23, 2013 -- 3:527a.m.

CLIMB KILI FOR A CURE!
19,341 feet = $19,341 for Team Fox and Parkinson's Research
In celebration of my "big" birthday about three months ago, I decided to mark it in a "big" way by climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.  After months of planning, I leave in less than 24 hours.  I've been told it's an adventure of a lifetime. I confess, I'm totally psyched!

It's not that "Kili" was always on my bucket list -- I'm not even sure I knew where it was, exactly, or anything about it, other than that Hemingway wrote a story about its snows.  But I was looking to mark this birthday -- which was starting to get to me months in advance -- in a meaningful way.  After rejecting cooking trips in Tuscany (too indulgent and fattening) and building houses in Mozambique (sounded cool, but dates weren't right), I started stumbling upon Kili expeditions.  When I learned that mere mortals in decent shape could climb this mountain without serious risk of death, I concluded it was the perfect solution to my birthday blues. 

But why actually climb a mountain like Kili -- with no showers or running water or even alcohol for 9 days?????
Because Mt. Everest is too hard?
Because the snows are melting?
Because, like The Little Engine that Could, "I think I can, I think I can…"
Because YOLO? (tr: "You only live once!")?

There's probably a bit of truth in all of the above. But as part of making this a meaningful venture, I decided that for once, it's not all about ME ME ME. . . (really!). Instead, in honor of my parents, I set the lofty (no pun intended!) goal of dedicating my mid-life crisis climb to raising money for the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.  Unfortunately, I have watched first-hand the devasting effects of this disease, as both my parents suffer from it. 

Forgive my lack of eloquence, but Parkinson's sucks. Afflicting over five million people worldwide, PD is a chronic degenerative neurological disorder, which bit by bit hinders and eventually shuts down the most basic bodily functions. Currently available treatments temporarily mask symptoms while the disease continues to progress. At present, there is no known cure. But research is progressing rapidly, and the Michael J. Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease through an aggressively funded research agenda and ensuring the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson's today.

Originally, my personal goal was to raise $10,000 before my June 23 departure. When I quickly reached and exceeded that goal, I raised the goal to $19,341 -- $1 for every 19,341 feet of Kilimanjaro's Uhuru Peak -- and I recently reached and exceeded that goal as well.  The support from family and friends from all parts of the world and from all parts of my life has been overwhelming.  But I have not reached the real goal, and hope to continue in my fundraising efforts until there is a cure. Please consider making a contribution. Donations are tax-deductible and can be made online through my Team Fox fundraising page at http://www2.michaeljfox.org/goto/barbaraclimbkili. Of course, any donations will go directly to Michael J. Fox Foundation -- they are NOT being used to fund my trip or my equipment.

In my next post (for any of you interested), I'll spare the fundraising pitch, and promise to share more information about my preparations for my climb, the type of information I trolled the internet for incessantly: the company I selected (Thompson Treks & Safaris), the route (the longest I could find -- called the Grand Traverse, aka the Northern Circuit), the shopping and shopping and shopping and packing (the logistics were mentally challenging), and the training hikes I took to prepare my legs, break in my boots (Purple Lowa's) and test out my equipment and clothes (for which I shopped and shopped and shopped -- Yes, REI loves me!) (Harriman State Park is a great resource for anyone in the NY metro area).  As I'm electronically challenged, not sure how much "real time" posting there will be during my trek, but I plan to share upon my return if all else fails.  Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. So proud to be your friend,
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, BJ, go! My dad also has Parkinson's. Thank you so much for rallying folks in support of research for a cure. It's an awesome way to mark your 50th! I'm sure you will have no trouble conquering the mountain. Bon voyage!
    -Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing the Team Fox climb this January, and was very happy to discover your blog! I am making the climb with early onset PD... I wonder if I am the first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw this, Gina. How did the climb go???

      Delete